I saw a picture of a similar pizza a few weeks ago, and was finally inspired to create one for a celebratory dinner this weekend. September is one of my most inspired cooking months, with the warm days, crisp cool evenings and local produce abounding. My creative side is fed daily by the little things: a coloured leaf on the walk, an owl hauntingly serenading us at midnight in our back forest, a silvery dew-lined spider web glistening in the morning mist as I approach my workplace.
After a couple of intense months at work where I was managing two roles at work, I took a day off to catch up with the family and relax! First stop: one of our favourite farm markets to stock up on local fresh veggies and to swing with my three-year-old on their giant swing.
Later we got the whole wheat crust started in the bread machine, with a detour to my daughter’s school for her birthday month cupcake party, and a quick stop at our own farm to pick the arugula. Back at home, here is what I put together from a few recipes and with my own twists:
- Whole wheat pizza crust (I pre-baked it most of the way).
- caramelized sweet onions with anise seeds (I would have used a fresh fennel bulb but I couldn’t find one after going to three markets so I just threw in some anise seeds I found growing in an ally when we lived in East Vancouver).
- figs, sliced thinly (had to used dried, but they tasted good!)
- feta cheese
- mozzarella cheese
- arugula, cut into strips
- fresh basil
- one tomato, thinly sliced
- balsamic vinaigrette (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, dijon mustard) – supposed to add later but I forgot and added it before baking).
After assembling, I baked it for about 10 minutes, then broiled it for about 2 minutes. It was delicious! The kind of thing I would want to order in a restaurant because I can’t make it at home…except we did make it at home!
Living with a variety of people, including two small children, I also made the classic “cheese” pizza and another one for my husband with sautÃ©ed eggplant, zucchini, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, arugula, black olives, feta, tomato sauce, sundried tomatoes and mozzarella!